8 MORE Creative DIY Wedding Guest Book Alternatives!September 7, 2021
Wedding Anniversary Gifts by Year: The Second Decade and Beyond!September 29, 2021
Wedding Anniversary Gifts by Year: The First Decade
Wedding anniversaries are a time to celebrate the honor of your commitment to each other, the love you share, and cherished memories you’ve made together. Each one is important. However, there are traditionally some big anniversary milestones that hold special significance. Each of these big anniversary milestones signifies something specific to be celebrated as the years of marriage add up. These milestones are represented by an item or material. Generally the couple exchanges wedding anniversary gifts by year within the category of the item.
In this article, we will discuss the big anniversary milestones you should know that occur in your first decade of marriage. We will also suggest some gift ideas for each. In a following article, we will discuss the big anniversary milestones that occur beginning in your second decade of marriage and stopping at year 60, just to stay concise. However, this doesn’t mean you should stop celebrating after 60 years. The list keeps going, as hopefully will your years. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up like the world’s longest recorded marriage and get to celebrate your 90th wedding anniversary. Or maybe even more!
Here are the big wedding anniversary gifts by year in the first decade you should know and a few gift ideas for each one.
- 1st Anniversary: Paper
- 2nd Anniversary: Cotton
- 3rd Anniversary: Leather
- 4th Anniversary: Fruit or Flowers
- 5th Anniversary: Wood
- 10th Anniversary: Tin
1. 1st Anniversary: Paper
The first big wedding anniversary gift by year is perhaps one of the most exciting, because it’s your first anniversary! One year into your marriage, you’re getting to know each other in a whole new way. This doesn’t always make the first year of marriage easy, but hopefully, it’s full of lots of love and fun amongst the challenges. All of this makes your 1st anniversary one of the most important milestones of your marriage and definitely a reason to celebrate.
The 1st Anniversary is paper. Paper is a great representation of this stage in your marriage, as it’s new and a blank slate for you to begin writing your story together. Paper is also relatively fragile, as are most new things. However, if well taken care of, paper (and your marriage) can be long-lasting.
A perk of paper being the first anniversary gift material exchanged is that it’s inexpensive. This is fortunate because weddings and honeymoons aren’t cheap, so you get to catch up a bit! Here are a few paper gift ideas:
- A card (obviously) with a sweet handwritten note
- Write a poem for your spouse on some lovely stationery
- Box of stationery
- A gorgeous copy of a favorite book
- Full-page ad in your local newspaper wishing your spouse a Happy Anniversary!
- Subscription to their favorite magazine or newspaper
- “Love coupons”
- Do something creative with pictures from your wedding
- And so many more options!
(P.S. Also, don’t forget to eat that slice of wedding cake in your freezer that you saved from your wedding!)
2. 2nd Anniversary: Cotton
The next big wedding anniversary gift by year is your 2nd Anniversary, which is cotton. Cotton represents how your lives are being woven together into one strong bond. Some gifts of cotton might include:
- New linens or towels
- Matching bathrobes to keep you cozy as you enjoy your morning cup of coffee together
- Funny t-shirt or goofy socks
- Cozy throw blanket to cuddle up together with
3. 3rd Anniversary: Leather
The 3rd wedding anniversary gift by year is leather. Leather is strong and durable and represents the endurance of longevity of your marriage becoming well-established three years in. Some leather items you could give as gifts might include:
- A coveted designer purse or bag
- Leather journal
- Braided leather bracelet
- Leather jacket
- Shoes or boots
- Leather photo album full of your wedding photos or favorite pictures of your three years of marriage so far
4. 4th Anniversary: Fruit or Flowers
The 4th wedding anniversary gift by year is represented by fruit or flowers. These items represent how your marriage has blossomed into something beautiful. Gifts of these items are rather self-explanatory, so you can keep it simple or get creative with it.
- Bouquet of flowers (obviously) or an edible arrangement
- Take it up a notch and get a flower delivery subscription to have flowers delivered every month!
- Make (and eat!) chocolate-covered strawberries together
- Go berry or apple picking
- Visit a tulip farm
- Create a fruity-floral signature cocktail together
5. 5th Anniversary: Wood
Your 5th wedding anniversary gift by year is next, which is wood. Wood represents strength, wisdom, and growth, all of which you are gaining in your partnership after 5 years together. Some wood items that could make great gifts for your 5th anniversary might include:
- A wooden plaque engraved with a loving message, your vows, or your wedding date
- Plant a tree together in your backyard
- Your favorite picture together in a handmade or commissioned wooden frame
- Build a bench together for your backyard or patio
- A new dining room table for a growing family
- A weekend trip to go hiking
6. 10th Anniversary: Tin
The next big wedding anniversary gift by year is your 10th anniversary, which is represented by tin or aluminum. Tin is strong yet flexible, which are qualities you definitely acquire after a decade of marriage. Some gifts made out of tin might include:
- Engraved jewelry box or trinket box
- Photo frame with a collage of the highlights of your first decade of marriage
- Gift card to their favorite store or activity you can do together inside a metal gift box
- Go to antiquing together and find something special and unique for each other made of tin
- Purchase some tin camping cooking gear and go camping together
- Rent an Airstream travel trailer and head out on a long weekend road trip getaway
Love this content and want more? Read more about wedding planning on our blog. Are you helping to plan a wedding and still need to nail down a venue? Give us a call to schedule a tour and see why Jennings Trace might be your perfect place.